The Veterans Memorial Plaza was completed in May of 2019. The Plaza was built around the existing memorial located at Mines Avenue. The completed Plaza enhanced the existing site, bringing more attention and honor to the Veterans of Pico Rivera who so bravely gave their lives while serving their community and their country.
The Plaza includes additional lighting for nighttime viewing, new concrete pavement, additional landscaping, masonry seating benches, a granite faced wall adorned with the bronze seals of the United States Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard. There are also five flag poles, one for each flag of the branches of the United States Armed Forces. A single prominent flag pole sits at the eastern side of the Plaza proudly displaying the flag of the United States, and below that, the flag representing and remembering those who were a Prisoner of War, or Missing in Action.
The centerpiece of the Veterans Memorial Plaza is the two bronze plaques representing American Legion Posts, 341 & 411, and Veterans of Foreign War Posts, 6315 & 7734 that are in the City of Pico Rivera. Standing between the two bronze plaques is a single dedication wall which will have individual plaques of the names of those who lived in Pico Rivera that courageously gave their lives serving their country, as well as recipients of the Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross or Silver Star Medal.
The City of Pico Rivera is proud of all our Veterans and wish to honor them by having their names proudly displayed for residents and visitors alike to reflect and honor each of the Veterans on the dedication wall. To nominate a Veteran, follow the criteria below and download the forms located at the bottom of this page or visit the City's Department of Parks and Recreation Office at 6767 Passons Boulevard.
The following City Council approved criteria was developed to provide guidance to City staff when reviewing nominees for inclusion on the Veterans Memorial. The City has determined it is very important to honor the integrity of the Memorial by carefully applying a criteria.
To be eligible for recognition through plaque placement on the Veterans Memorial the following criteria must be met:
1. Nominee must have served honorably with the United States Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Merchant Marines or the Navy, or their Reserve or National Guard components; and
2. Nominee must have lived in the City of Pico Rivera for a minimum of five (5) years and;
3. Nominee must have one of the following United States Department of Defense designations:
4. Nominee may not have any criminal convictions.
5. Special cases may be requested and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The review period will be extended. For consideration, please submit a written request documenting the special circumstances around the case, along with the nomination form, required military record, and residency documentation.
PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY
Proof of Pico Rivera Residency
A copy of a minimum of two of the following is required for proof that the nominee lived in Pico Rivera for at least five years. All documents must have nominee's name:
1. Birth Certificate
2. Newspaper Birth Announcement
3. Hospital Records
4. California Driver’s License
5. Certified Home of Record/Enlistment Paperwork
6. Pico Rivera Private or Public School Records/Identification
7. School Records 8. Utility Bill 9. Financial Records (Bank statements, credit card statements, etc)
Provide copy of nominee's DD Form 214 and one the following to verify US Department of Defense designation:
1. Copy of the “Certified Report of Incident” issued by military
2. Newspaper Article
3. Death Certificate
4. History Book
5. Newspaper/Internet Obituary
6. Department of Defense Data
7. Internet or print records from Museums, Libraries, Military or Church Organizations (such as National Personal Records Center and the Department of Defense)
8. Other legal documentation verifying branch, rank, and eligible designation
PLAQUE INSTALLATION SCHEDULE
The City will be accepting the first round of applications from Memorial Day 2019 through July 2019. The name plaques take a minimum of 6-8 weeks to be produced and staff is anticipating the first round of plaques to be installed in late July through mid-September 2019. After this initial period of installations there will be a set schedule:
Application Received: April - August
Plaque Installed: One week prior to Veterans Day
Application Received: September - March
Plaque Installed: One week prior to Memorial Day
For more information, contact our Parks and Recreation Office at 562.801.4430, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.