City News and Updates
Yard Sales Help the Environment
Summer is here, which probably means that the piles of clutter you discovered during spring cleaning are still around. Before you toss it in the dumpster, consider giving your items a second life.
You do what you can to recycle your paper and aluminum cans, so why not recycle your clothes, your old records, and the kids’ old toys - and make a little money while you’re at it? Have a yard sale. Every day, Americans throw away an average of 4.5 pounds of garbage per person. Holding a yard sale can be your chance to keep reusable items in circulation. So gather your items and review the City’s ordinance and take appropriate steps to making your yard sale a smashing success.
Current yard sale regulations for the City of Pico Rivera:
- Residents may have up to 4 yard sales per calendar year, with each sale lasting up to 2 consecutive days.
- No permits are necessary to host a sale, but the posting of signs on public rights-of way (streets and sidewalks) and light or utility posts is still prohibited.
- Sales can take place from 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Set-up for a yard sale can occur as early as 5:00 p.m. on the day before the sale. Items must be removed from public view by 9:00 p.m. on the final sale date.
- Merchandise offered for sale must be used household goods belonging to the residents of the property. Residents cannot purchase or collect used items for the purpose of reselling.
- Items prohibited from sale include: new merchandise, food or beverages, commercial appliances and equipment, animals and livestock, and items where the serial numbers have been removed.
- The number of residential appliances (i.e., washer, dryer, refrigerator, etc.) that can be displayed at one time is 2.
For more information on the new yard sale regulations, please call the Community and Economic Development Department at 562.801.4388.