Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Water Division

How do I start water service to my home, apartment, or business?

If your address is served by the City of Pico Rivera, apply in person at the Water Division, located in City Hall, 6615 Passons Blvd, Monday through Friday from 7:00am to 5:30pm (City Hall is closed every Friday) The City recommends that you apply at least one day before water service is needed to ensure a timely connection.

If you are not serviced by the City of Pico Rivera, but you live in the City, the following water districts also serve residents of Pico Rivera:

Pico Water District

San Gabriel Valley Water Company

What if I have a question about charges on my water bill?

If you believe your bill is incorrect, please contact Water Billing at (562) 801-4316 or

What is required to start water service?

Please provide the following in order to have water service started at your home, apartment, or business:

  • Address being served;
  • Proof of ownership or a rental agreement;
  • a $101 (residential) or $304 (commercial) refundable deposit;
  • a $20 non-refundable application fee (cash, check, or money order), and
  • a valid form of personal identification.

Commercial service will require the Federal Tax identification number.

How is the refundable deposit I placed to start water service returned?

Deposits will be refunded, without interest, when service is terminated. Any outstanding balances on the account which are due will be deducted from the deposit.

How often will I be billed for my water service?

Residential accounts are billed bi-monthly. Commercial accounts are billed monthly.

Why is there a minimum charge for water service?

All water accounts are charged a minimum amount called a "base Rate." The base rate, depending on meter size, is charged to pay the fixed costs incurred in providing water service, including supply, facility maintenance, treatment and distribution. This charge appears on every bill and does not change during the year. In addition to the base rate, charges will vary depending on the amount of water used.

Do you need access to my water meter?

Yes. City personnel must have access to your utility meters at all times to change service, check for leaks, or to take readings.

Where does my tap water come from?

Your tap water comes from local groundwater wells that supply our service area.

How do I know that my water is safe?

Your water is tested weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually to ensure that it meets required quality levels, at the source and in the distribution system. State and federal laws also mandate that tests for some substances be made less frequently because their levels do not change. Specially-trained technicians in state-certified laboratories conduct all water quality tests.  

Agencies are required to produce an Annual Water Quality Report for their customers. The reports are mailed every year in early summer. Copies are also available at City Hall.

What if I have problems with my water service?

If you are having problems with your water service, check with your neighbors to see if they have similar problems. If the problem is concentrated at your home, contact a plumber at your discretion and cost. If the problem is neighborhood-wide, contact the Water Division at 562-801-4316.

How will I know my water service is at risk of being disconnected?

All bills must be paid by the due date.  Delinquent bills, if not paid on time, will result in service disconnection.  Customers will receive a ten-day "Notice of Delinquency" and a subsequent seven-day "Turn Off Notice." prior to service being disconnected.

What do I do if my water service is disconnected?

In the event your water service is disconnected due to non-payment on the account, a restoration service fee will be charged to cover teh costs of re-connecting water service. In addition, a further deposit may be required to re-establish credit prior to restoring water service.  The restoration fee is $61 if paid before 2:00pm on the day of disconnection or $350.00 after 2:00pm.

What if I need help outside of City Hall hours?

In case of an emergency when City Hall is closed, call the Emergency Water Answering Service at (800) 759-5569. Personnel will contact the appropriate City standby employee to respond to the emergency.

How do I terminate water service and collect my deposit?

You can call, email or visit City Hall to terminate water service. Same day termination requests must be made by 2:00 pm, during normal City Hall hours. The refundable deposit is applied to the final bill and the refund, without interest, will be sent to the forwarding address provided.

Is there a calendar on-line that will show when the City Council meetings are held?

Yes, to view a calendar please go to the "Home Page" of the City's website. As a general rule and as established by City Council resolution, the Pico Rivera City Council meets the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of City Hall at 6615 Passons Boulevard. There are also special meetings that are held and these will be posted on-line.

Can I speak on an item that is on the closed session agenda?

Absolutely, you have three minutes to do so by using a green speaker card for items that are listed on the agenda.

Where do I get a claim form?

Claim forms can be downloaded from the City's website at or you may call the City Clerk’s Office at 562-801-4390 to have one faxed or mailed to you.