Social Media Policy
The City of Pico Rivera, including the Pico Rivera Innovative Municipal Energy (collectively referred to here as the “City of Pico Rivera” or “City”) maintains a social media program across multiple Social Media Platforms. For the purpose of this policy, a “Social Media Platform” is the website or application offered to the public to provide audio, video, still-photo or written communication between other members of the public and/or representatives of certain groups, businesses, organizations or departments. Examples of the City of Pico Rivera’s Social Media Platforms include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Snapchat. The City maintains its social media program for the purpose of creating limited, controlled, and monitored online sites, established for the limited purpose to provide information of public interest concerning the City’s programs, activities, and events, and related news, stories, photographs, and videos. City of Pico Rivera Social Media Platforms shall supplement, and not replace, the City’s required notices and standard methods of communication. All Social Media Platforms used by the City are designated as limited public forums.
Social Media Platforms are NOT the forum if you need police assistance for an emergency or to report a crime. If you have an emergency, or to report an in-progress incident or crime, please call 911.
The definition of “content” as used in this policy refers to any written copy, photos, graphics, videos, live-video streams, comments or any form of communicative content exchanged between parties.
By submitting, posting, or commenting on any of the City of Pico Rivera’s Social Media Platforms, you acknowledge having read, reviewed, and agreed to the terms and conditions of use as set forth herein. In doing so, we would like to remind users that this is a family friendly page, and as a result, we respectfully request that posts and comments also be respectful, civil, and courteous. All postings and comments are subject to the following terms and conditions of use established by the City of Pico Rivera:
• The City of Pico Rivera’s Social Media Platforms are not meant for comments that do not directly relate to the purpose and topical scope of the platform.
• Only comments consistent with the terms and conditions set forth herein will be allowed. Posts and comments containing any of the following forms of content or language are not allowed. Consistent with the purpose of this policy and the City’s Social Media Platforms, the City of Pico Rivera reserves the right to restrict, reject, remove or delete posts or comments that are, or contain, the following, or to block users who post comments with content in violation of this policy, which may include, but is not limited to, the following:
• Content or language not directly related to the purpose and topical scope of the Social Media Platform, including comments unrelated to the original topic or article posted by the City of Pico Rivera, which are off-topic, or are out of context.
• Profane, derogatory, or obscene terms, language or content.
• “Fighting words” or threatening language, including threats of violence to any person, property or organization.
• Harassing, intimidating, defamatory, bullying or “trolling” content or language.
• Discriminatory language or content, including language or content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination based on race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, as well as any category protected by local, state or federal law.
• Incites, encourages, or promotes violence or criminal conduct or activity.
• Content, language, or information that may tend to or reasonably compromise the safety or security of the public, City staff, employees or public officials, or public systems or infrastructures.
• Advertisements, promotions, or solicitation of a commercial product, services, entity or individual.
• Endorsements or promotions in favor of, or in opposition to, a political campaign, a candidate campaigning for election to political office, or ballot measures.
• Sexual content, sexual violence, nudity, or images or descriptions of sexual acts.
• Content that contains confidential, proprietary, or sensitive personal information about any public or private individual.
• Copyrighted material, intellectual property, or other content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party.
• Apparent spam or robo-spam and comments posted by automatic software programs and/or repetitive posts.
• Posts or comments that contain any external links.
• Content or conduct that violates any local, state, or federal law, code, or regulation.
• The Social Media Platforms and their content are managed by the City of Pico Rivera. All comments posted to the Social Media Platforms are subject to monitoring and review by the City of Pico Rivera. The City of Pico Rivera reserves the right to remove, amend, revise, edit or correct its own postings from its Social Media Platforms. The City of Pico Rivera reserves the right to restrict, remove, reject, or prohibit postings with content violating the terms and conditions of use as discussed herein and above, and/or to block users posting said prohibited content. The City of Pico Rivera reserves the right to deny access to its Social Media Platforms to any individual who violates these terms and conditions of use, at any time and without prior notice.
• Any attempt to hack or otherwise compromise the City of Pico Rivera’s Social Media Platforms is prohibited.
• The City of Pico Rivera’s Social Media Platforms are not monitored 24/7. However, the City of Pico Rivera will review its Social Media Platforms and comments on a regular basis.
• The City of Pico Rivera is not responsible for, and neither endorses nor opposes, comments posted on its Social Media Platforms by visitors to it. Commenters participate at their own risk, and are personally responsible for their own comments, username, or any information they provide or post on the City of Pico Rivera’s Social Media Platforms. The City of Pico Rivera is not responsible, nor does it control, posts or comments that were voluntarily removed or deleted by users.
· All comments posted to any of the City of Pico Rivera’s Facebook sites are bound by Facebook’s Terms of Service, located at https://www.facebook.com/terms.php, and by Facebook’s Community Standards, located at https://www.facebook.com/communitystandards/. The City of Pico Rivera reserves its right to report any violations of Facebook’s Terms of Service or Community Standards to Facebook, with the intent of Facebook taking appropriate and responsive action.
• All comments posted to any of the City of Pico Rivera’s Twitter sites are bound by Twitter’s Terms of Service, located at https://twitter.com/en/tos and by the Twitter Rules, located at https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-rules. The City of Pico Rivera reserves the right to report any violation of the Twitter Terms of Service and/or Twitter Rules with the intent of Twitter taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.
• All comments posted to any of the City of Pico Rivera’s YouTube sites are bound by YouTube’s Policies and Community Guidelines, located at https://www.youtube.com/yt/about/policies/#community-guidelines. The City of Pico Rivera reserves the right to report any violation of the YouTube Policies or Community Guidelines with the intent of Instagram taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.
• When appropriate, the City of Pico Rivera reserves the right to report any violation of Snapchat’s Terms of Service, located at https://www.snap.com/en-US/terms/#terms-us, with the intent of Snap Inc. taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.
• The City of Pico Rivera’s use of external social media is provided as a public service. The City disclaims liability for advertisements, videos, promoted content, or comments accessible from any external web page. The responsibility of external content of comments rests with the organizations or individual providing them. Any inclusion of external content or comments on social media platforms does not imply endorsement by the City of Pico Rivera.
• Comments submitted for posting, whether approved for posting or blocked, and any other content on the City of Pico Rivera’s Social Media Platforms, may be subject to any applicable local or state policies and law for control, use, retention, and destruction of records. Comments submitted for posting, whether approved for posting or blocked, and any other content on the City of Pico Rivera’s Social Media Platforms, may also be considered public records subject to the California Public Records Act.
• The City of Pico Rivera shall have full permission or rights to any content posted by the City, including photographs and videos.
• There is no expectation of privacy in information submitted to or posted on the City of Pico Rivera’s Social Media Platforms by an employee of the City or any other person.
For official information about the City of Pico Rivera, please visit http://www.pico-rivera.org/
Any and all persons who appear on this page as suspects or wanted individuals are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.